Position: Box Office Lead
Date Posted: 07/23/2021
Pay Range: Part Time @ $14/hour
Commitment: Average 30 hours/week for 48 weeks annually
Expected Annual Pay: $20,160
The Englert Theatre is a performing arts organization based in Iowa City, Iowa. Housed in a historic theater (est. 1912) in the heart of downtown, the Englert serves as a key community activator. Our values and programmatic practices center a wide range of voices and perspectives, honor historic preservation, and demand ongoing self-analysis and evolution toward a more inclusive community.
To inspire and activate positive community growth through the arts
You will assist the Operations Director and Front of House staff in maintaining and overseeing all Box Office activities in a professional and welcoming manner.
Indirect supervision is exercised over all Box Office staff.
Works closely with the Operations Director, Marketing Department, and House Managers
Core Job Duties
- Participates in hiring process alongside Operations Director
- Organizes and leads trainings for all Box Office staff
- Schedules Box Office staff for all event shifts
- Provides with feedback for annual reviews for Box Office staff
- Supervision of Box Office staff
- Clearly & diplomatically communicates with all departments (daily & event-based)
- Make recommendations to management on better processes as identified during daily routine
- Exhibit professional phone skills and serve patrons with a focus on excellent customer service
- Approach all customer questions and complaints with equanimity and understanding
- Assist in tracking supplies and inventory needed in the box office
- Work with a variety of personalities and abilities in the volunteer base, visiting artists, and staff
- Oversee that the box office, lobby areas, gallery, and sidewalk areas are clean, safe, and presentable for patrons
- Maintain proper sales receipts and customer transactions on a daily basis
- Assist theatre staff with projects and general office administrative responsibilities
- Print off and organize Will Call
- Count cash drawer
- Verify ticket buyer address or check ID for Will Call
- Sell tickets to walk-up customers
- Communicate with House Manager about comp tickets and distribute comps to the appropriate patrons
- Field questions
- Sell tickets to other shows if people are interested
- Computer Literacy
- Outstanding experience and skills with customer service
- Experience with money handling and creating deposits
- Must be 18 or over
- Knowledge of theater ticketing software
- Experience working with project management software
- Certification in First Aid and CPR
The Performing Arts Industry
Our schedule follows the touring industry. You can expect the bulk of your hours to come during touring seasons; October – December, and February – May. This position is subject to non-traditional work hours. Some hours are scheduled “as needed” based on the show/event schedule. Shifts can be up to 12 hours in length.
A Note Regarding Experience
If this posting looks like your dream job and you don’t have experience in this exact line of work, but you do have an outstanding record of performance with the skills listed in adjacent or applicable fields, we welcome your submission.
Application Materials Required
Ready to apply? Gather the necessary resources and click the link below to apply.
- Cover Letter
- Current Resumé with 3 References