Position: Executive Director
Date Posted: 04/01/2022
Classification: Full-time, exempt
Expected Annual Pay: Commensurate with experience
The Englert Theatre is searching for a new Executive Director. The ideal candidate will be an inspiring, collaborative, and forward-thinking leader who empowers and celebrates colleagues encouraging mutual trust and respect. The Executive Director will be a proactive and approachable manager and a hands-on team-builder capable of uniting the collective energy and resources of The Englert to build upon its legacy and secure a path toward its future.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will provide administrative and financial oversight of all day-to-day operations of the organization. They will collaborate closely with the Board to establish a long-term vision and strategy that is effective, achievable, and sustainable and will lead its implementation. Guided by The Englert’s mission and values, this individual will be responsible for managing the organization’s business functions including general management, external and community relations, audience development, marketing, fund development, financial management, and strategic planning. The Executive Director is also responsible for establishing and overseeing the programmatic mission of the organization in alignment with the mission, vision, and values as established by the Board of Directors.
The ideal candidate will have the following background:
- Experience providing visionary leadership at the executive level and experience with a nonprofit performing arts organization strongly preferred.
- A proven track record (with specific examples) of having developed and collaborated with artistic organizations, connections, and networks within the performing arts industry is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with cultivating an environment of accountability, healthy work relationships and partnerships, and inclusivity among staff to maintain a positive and collaborative work environment.
- Experience working with a complex set of stakeholders.
- Outstanding communication skills and ability to work well with the Board of Directors, staff, media, and the community.
Leadership and Management
- Lead, manage, and guide the organization to ensure continued growth, success, and optimal mission impact for The Englert’s programs and services.
- Plan, actively manage, and oversee the organization’s programs, fundraising, and operations while ensuring financial sustainability.
- Build and lead an effective team dedicated to fulfilling the organization’s mission through successful program implementation, community engagement, and fundraising campaigns.
- Lead through innovation with a progressive approach to growing the Englert Theatre post pandemic through creative ideas and vision.
- Actively engage in complex fiscal management through hands-on budgetary development and oversight; routinely report performance and financial activities to the Board.
- Manage senior team by setting expectations, leading long-term strategic vision creation and implementation, delegating and providing support as appropriate.
Fundraising and Development
- Oversee the Development Director, provide leadership, and actively participates in fundraising activities, donor development, grant seeking, and grant reporting to ensure the organization meets its goals for contributed income.
- In partnership with the Development Director, develop and maintain relationships with foundations, corporations, government funding agencies, and neighboring establishment leaders to create lasting and beneficial partnerships.
- Monitor all donor information, providing insightful analysis to the Board and senior leadership.
- Serve as the organizational lead in ongoing management of Strengthen Grow Evolve, the 2021 joint capital campaign with FilmScene.
- Serve as the face of the organization and actively participate in external events, increasing visibility, credibility, and brand in the market. Developing strategic partnerships to increase community awareness.
- Maintain transparent and frequent communication with the Board of Directors, staff, local community partners, organizational partners, and artists.
- Exhibit excellent verbal and written communication skills, including conflict resolution in high-stress environments.
- Work well with those of diverse cultural backgrounds and perspectives and demonstrates a cultural competency that encourages healthy relationships with all stakeholders.
Strategy & Planning
- Create complete business plans for the attainment of goals and objectives established by working alongside the board of directors.
- Oversee the development of the annual budget and guide the general financial health and longevity of The Englert Theatre.
- Create decisive action plans with the senior management team that include clearly defined operational priorities and measurable goals, while fostering a culture of shared accountability.
- Apply innovative thinking and performance measurements to analyze and support strategic decision-making.
- Inspire a business-oriented, professional, results-driven environment across the organization.
Program Development & Implementation
- Oversee and support the development, design, and delivery of all program initiatives ensuring that goals and objectives are aligned with the annual plan.
- Review current organizational programs/structures and make recommendations that empower programmatic refinements.
- Embrace innovative technology to increase and improve programming.
- Oversee and support the administrative components of all program services, including artist contract negotiations, contract and grant reporting, and contracted work.
Board Development & Governance
- Partner with the Board of Directors to establish a long-term vision and sustainable strategy, create new operating models as necessary, and assess facility and programming needs as the organization looks forward from the pandemic.
- Cultivate a strong partnership with the Board of Directors in setting policies consistent with the mission of the Englert Theatre. Works, as needed, with all Board committees.
- Partner with the Board to ensure strong fiscal health, clear communication, and effective governance.
- Work with the Board to ensure succession plans are in place.
- Openly communicate financial plans and current financial conditions to the Board of Directors, clearly disclosing any budget discrepancies, issues of potential concern, and risks to the organization in a proactive and timely manner.
The Englert does not require a specific number of years of experience or minimum educational credentials, however, a Bachelors’ degree is strongly preferred. Experience working at a performing arts nonprofit venue is strongly preferred and qualified candidates should demonstrate a dynamic history of successful leadership and senior managerial experience, as well as previous experience in fundraising, marketing, financial management, operations, relationship-building, and strategic planning. Exceptional communication skills are required. Valid ID and the ability to pass a background check.
This exciting opportunity offers the ability to make a significant impact by leading and growing The Englert. The Englert Theatre offers a base salary, benefits, and a team-oriented atmosphere that is both positive and rewarding. Pay range is between $85,000 – $110,000, commensurate with experience.
The Englert is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity and equity in all facets
of the organization’s work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected
veteran status, or any other protected class.
The Englert Theatre is a multi-disciplinary performing arts organization based in Iowa City, Iowa. Housed in a historic theater (est. 1912) in the heart of downtown, the Englert serves as a key community activator. Our values and programmatic practices center on a wide range of voices and perspectives, honor historic preservation, and demand ongoing self-analysis and evolution toward a more inclusive community.
To inspire and activate positive community growth through the arts
Manages Senior Team consisting of Development Director, Marketing Director, Operations Director, Programming Manager, and Senior Production Manager.
Board of Directors
Procedure for applying:
Qualified candidates should click the link below to submit a current resume, cover letter, and salary requirements. Inclusion of demonstrable accomplishments is welcome with your application. Deadline for applications is April 29, 2022. For more information about the Englert Theatre, visit www.englert.org.