Position: Mission Creek Festival Intern
Date Posted: 11/05/2022
Classification: Paid Internship
Compsensation: $1,000 stipend to be paid upon successful completion of the internship
The Englert Theatre is a performing arts organization based in Iowa City, Iowa. Housed in a historic theater (est. 1912) in the heart of downtown, The Englert serves as a key community activator. Our values and programmatic practices center on a wide range of voices and perspectives, honor historic preservation, and demand ongoing self-analysis and evolution toward a more inclusive community.
To inspire and activate positive community growth through the arts
The MCF intern will work alongside the Senior Production Manager for Mission Creek Festival. The internship provides real-world event planning and festival production experience giving the intern an opportunity to hone their project management, communications, and decision-making skills. This position provides space to work independently, as part of an intimate team, and as part of a large team. This is an opportunity to be involved in the production of one of Iowa City’s most beloved community gatherings and get a foot in the door of its last historic performing arts venue.
Anticipated Work Schedule
The intern will work at least 140 hours during the term of the internship which begins January 24 and ends April 28. We expect the intern to work 10 hours per week for the 10 weeks leading up to the festival, 30 hours during the week of the festival, and 10 hour total in the weeks following the festival.
Senior Production Manager
Core Job Duties
- Assist in tracking and coordinating artist and participant needs including but not limited to transportation arrangements, hotel accommodations, and hospitality
- Cross-reference data with contracts and offers to artists
- Troubleshoot issues during the festival in tandem with the Senior Production Manager and Festival Director
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Production Manager
- Recruit volunteers using resources and contacts provided by the Senior Production Manager
- Schedule and help lead all volunteer orientations and meetings
- Design and maintain scheduling documents for volunteers
- Design and maintain spreadsheets for tracking merchandise and hospitality needs
- Help manage up to 50 volunteers during the festival
- Check-in with show producers to ensure volunteers have arrived and are providing necessary assistance
- Replace volunteers when they are unable to make their shift or fill in yourself as necessary
- Help conduct merchandise settlements as needed
- Collect and record attendance information for festival events
- Participate in post-festival discussions with the Senior Production Manager to help eliminate stresses and streamline processes for the following year’s festival
- Maintain your own schedule and keep a record of hours worked
A Note Regarding Experience
Excited about this job, but don’t meet all of the requirements? Studies have shown that members of marginalized communities are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every listed qualification. At The Englert, we want to build a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate to join the Englert family.
Application Materials Required
Ready to apply? Gather the necessary resources and click the link below to apply.
- Cover Letter
- Current Resumé with 3 Professional References