Position: Programming Coordinator
Date Posted: 01/31/2024
Classification: Part-Time @ $15.00/hr
Commitment: Average of 20 hours/week, 52 weeks annually
The Englert Theatre is a performing arts organization based in Iowa City, Iowa. Housed in a historic theater (est. 1912) in the heart of downtown, The Englert serves as a key community activator. Our values and programmatic practices center a wide range of voices and perspectives, honor historic preservation, and demand ongoing self-analysis and evolution toward a more inclusive community.
To inspire and activate positive community growth through the arts
The Programming Coordinator assists with curating and contracting artists for The Englert Theatre and all the programs it oversees. This will entail both administrative and event-based duties. The Programming Coordinator will actively grow our programmatic efforts under the direction of the Programming Director with an intentional focus on the budgetary goals and programmatic impact on the community.
Anticipated Work Schedule
The position will require an average of 20 hours per week, with significant hours occurring outside 9am-5pm. At least 50% of work will be required on-site, but the position offers flexibility with some hybrid/remote work allowed.
Core Job Duties
- Assist the Programming Director with the administration of Englert programming needs by reviewing and editing contracts, actively managing the programming calendar, creating and sending offers, and advancing shows with touring artists.
- Lead the programming efforts for the Track Zero series.
- Report on ongoing projects in weekly programming meetings with the Programming Director.
- Assist in managing contracts, riders, backline details, and creating artist one-sheets for festival-type programming.
- Manages the process of receiving and vetting submissions from local artists.
- Assist the Senior Team with event administration as needed.
- Contribute to the creation of new programs to introduce The Englert Theatre to new markets with a focus on community impact. To support these programs, the Programming Coordinator will work with the Programming Director and Senior Marketing Manager to develop branding and promotional initiatives to ensure that programming reaches the intended audience.
- Act as primary producer and advance contact for Off-Site Small shows (as defined in the operating budget) and assist in producing duties at The Englert as needed.
- Oversee special series and projects as directed by the Programming Director (i.e., The Englert Local Showcase Series)
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Flexible schedule – must work nights and weekends as well as regular office hours
- Demonstrable passion for and knowledge of current music trends
- Commitment to diversity and providing opportunities for artists of all backgrounds
The Performing Arts Industry
Our organization’s schedule follows the touring industry, with busy seasons in October-December and February-May. This position is subject to non-traditional work hours, like producing events in the evening and on weekends.
A Note Regarding Experience
Excited about this job, but don’t think you meet all of the requirements? Studies have shown that members of marginalized communities are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every listed qualification. At The Englert, we want to build a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate to join our team.
Application Materials Required
Ready to apply? Gather the necessary resources and click the link below to apply.
- Cover Letter
- Current Resumé with 3 References