Position: Senior Development Manager
Date Posted: 10/28/2022
Classification: Full-time, exempt
The Englert Theatre is a performing arts organization based in Iowa City, Iowa. Housed in a historic theater (est. 1912) in the heart of downtown, The Englert serves as a key community activator. Our values and programmatic practices center on a wide range of voices and perspectives, honor historic preservation, and demand ongoing self-analysis and evolution toward a more inclusive community.
To inspire and activate positive community growth through the arts
The Englert Theatre is searching for an enthusiastic advocate of local arts to lead the development efforts for the organization. The Senior Development Manager oversees all donor, sponsor, and grant programs. The ideal candidate will have previous development experience and will be excited to build meaningful relationships with our community partners and loyal supporters. The position requires attention to detail, superb writing skills, and an excitement to meet with current donors and unknown prospects.
This position will start as a member of our senior-level team with an opportunity to grow into a director-level position following two years of outstanding performance.
Works closely with the Executive Director, other senior team members, and staff from the marketing department, and development department
Core Job Duties
- Provides leadership, strategic direction, and management for all Englert fundraising efforts
- Designs and implements fundraising strategies to increase and strengthen support from individuals, corporations, small businesses, foundations, and arts-granting sources
- Publicly advocates for Englert-initiated and community-based arts efforts
- Works with the Executive Director to set and exceed annual fundraising goals
- Works closely with the Executive Director and Senior Marketing Manager on integrating development, marketing, and programming strategies
- Oversees the Membership Coordinator to provide support to ensure that all membership goals are met
- Provides oversight to the Membership Coordinator to manage individual donor lists and donation software
- Works with the Membership Coordinator to establish patron interaction strategies and best practices relating to Englert membership
- Cultivates relationships with leadership-level donors (Fellowship for the Future) to steward existing membership and facilitate growth within the program.
- Directly oversees sponsorship opportunities and manages the tracking of sponsor benefits, payments, and proposals
- Creates the sponsorship strategy to enable investments from our community partners which support our ongoing programs and festivals.
- Reviews all grant opportunities on an ongoing basis to ensure that Englert programs are aligned with community needs
- Serves as the organization’s grant writer and grant administrator ensuring that all grantors are recognized appropriately and that the organization takes advantage of grant opportunities as they arise
- A passion for the Arts
- An interest in building meaningful relationships with our closest supporters
- A strong commitment to community engagement
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously and prioritize to ensure that deadlines are met
- Experience working with donor management software (Raiser’s Edge)
- Experience managing to budgetary goals
- Grantwriting and administration experience
- Previous development and fundraising experience
- 3-5 years of work experience in nonprofit arts organizations
A Note Regarding Experience
Excited about this job, but don’t meet all of the requirements? Studies have shown that members of marginalized communities are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every listed qualification. At The Englert, we want to build a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate to join the Englert family.
Application Materials Required
Ready to apply? Gather the necessary resources and click the link below to apply.
- Cover Letter
- Current Resumé with 3 Professional References