Stand Up For Mental Health and The Crisis Center of Johnson County have teamed up to put on a great show featuring people with mental health issues doing stand-up comedy all about their mental health journeys.
Stand Up For Mental Health was featured in the VOICE Award winning documentary Cracking Up! Led by David Granirer, a counselor and a stand-up comic who himself has depression, Stand Up For Mental Health aims to reduce public stigma around mental health issues and spread a message of hope and empowerment.
Criteria: Participants must:
• Have a psychiatric disability, addiction or mental health issues
• Have stable housing (if taking the course outside an institution)
• A support system of, peers, family, professionals or some combination of that.
• Be in recovery
• Have at least one year of sobriety
• Be capable of sitting in class and paying attention
• Be able to read and write in English. Don’t worry – grammar and spelling don’t count!
• Have access to email and phone • Have the motivation and desire to create healthy change
• And above all else, have a desire to do stand up comedy